Will you be counted?

It goes without saying that there is an election coming up. Even I, sleep deprived and barely functioning, realize that a presidential election is on the board for next Tuesday. If I hadn't already known it, the girls would have told me, as their first grade classes have been discussing the candidates. Thanks to the pamphlet that came home with them last week, we now know that John McCain likes Mexican food, while Barack Obama likes chili. Well, I like both of those, so I guess I can't use food preferences as my litmus test.

Actually, I am not taking this election that lightly. As with every presidential election, I try to think about which person I think will do the best job for the country and for me. I never agree 100% with either of the candidates, and sometimes, I don't agree with either of them very much at all. This time is no different. But like I tell my kids, "Voting is a private matter, and I don't have to tell anyone which lever I'll pull." Furthermore, I am not going to tell you who to vote for, either.

But if I could find out more information about candidates, I'd vote for someone that had these characteristics (listed in no particular order):

-Doesn't believe everything they read
-Stands up for what they believe
-Listens to what the other person has to say, even if they don't agree
-Is generous with time, talent, and if they are able, money
-Respects ALL life: insects, trees, people, the earth
-Thinks independently
-Thinks judiciously
-Judges not the other person
-Realizes that everyone is special...we're just born that way
-Doesn't underestimate anyone, regardless of what they look like

I could go on, but I actually have work to do.

But please, get out and vote, whatever your vote may be!

Comments

Kelsey said…
Every post I read now I'm going to think, "Did Tim write that or did Chris write that?" Unless, of course, there is something in the writing that gives it away.

Are we to assume this was Chris?

Funny you should post this, because I have been itching to talk with you about the election. I know who I plan to vote for, but that hasn't stopped me from LOTS of questioning about my decision in the context of many other parts of my life. . . And I wondered if you had any similar conflict?
Leslie M. said…
Interestingly, Lillian has come home with the same information regarding McCain & Obama's favorite foods. Since she likes tacos better (and also likes McCain's choice for favorite story better), she is voting for McCain. I'm glad to know that she is at least considering the issues that are important to her!
TamiJ said…
Thanks for taking up the blog, Chris. I love keeping up with you all. It is the little thoughts like this that cross our minds when we wish we had our family/friends right there to debate with on the topic (since toddlers and infants don't debate really well yet). I enjoy hearing your thoughts. It reminds people who don't get to see you everyday who you are and why we are friends. Thanks for the reminder.
Anonymous said…
Hi Chris- I just started a facebook page and I post pictures of the kids there. I find it easier and quicker to post things. Melina is BEAUTIFUL and getting so big. How time flies. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status