First Days

Today was Aaron's first day of kindergarten. We had orientation yesterday, which went well. We met his teacher, saw the classroom, and went over some rules and regulations. I drove him to school both ways yesterday. Today, he actually rode the bus to and from school.

Aaron had been so excited this past week, mostly due to the bus ride. He is familiar with the school, thanks to the countless number of times we have visited over the last three years. But he really hadn't ridden on a school bus...I could see the gears turning in his head when he was thinking about the ride. I asked Zoe and Talia to let him sit with them on the way to school, and to make sure that he made it to the kindergarten classroom (or at least to the teacher directing the way). Both girls assured me that they would do as I asked.

This morning, we took the customary "first day of school picture" in front of the maple tree in our yard, and then wandered two driveways up to the bus stop. Aaron kept asking, "When is the bus coming?" I kept saying, "It will get here." I knew as soon as a huge smile swept across his face that the bus was on its way.


We smooched all 3 kids on the head, said "I love you" and "Have a good day" to each, and watched them cross the street to get on the bus. I didn't get the picture of them crossing, but imagine this: Zoe and Talia each grabbed one of Aaron's hands, led him across the street, and helped him onto the bus. Once they got to the window, they waved happily at the rest of us, and off they went.

***
The girls started 3rd grade a few days before Aaron started school. So far, they seem to like the teachers and the students in their classrooms. On the other hand, we have a new principal this year and more students (two schools merged), and there have been some changes made to school routine that aren't sitting well with the girls. We had a talk about change and how it can be both good and bad, and how we need to be flexible at times. I tried to find the learning experience in it and teach the lesson. I don't know if they understood all of what I was saying, but I think, for the most part, they did. I am optimistic (mostly because the principal seems like a good guy, with the kids best interest at heart) and I think his attitude will likely spill over eventually to the girls.


***
Melina wanted to get in on the action, so I took a picture of her at the tree, too. She has informed me that she wants to go to preschool. My neighbor runs a daycare out of her home, so I have planned on sending her over there once or twice a week for a couple of hours, to play with the kids and do crafts. I told her she'd be going to "Peggy's preschool" and she seemed thrilled. We'll see what happens next week when I leave!


Comments

Kelsey said…
That image of the girls helping Aaron cross to the bus has me a little choked up over here!

It was great to see you guys yesterday - I hope you had as much fun as we did.

So far I have nothing but a positive impression of the principal - I'm sure the girls will come around. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status