School Days

The kids seem to be enjoying school. They have been there for almost a month. They like the teachers, and they like their peers. However, this is the conversation we have been having every day:

Me: How was school?
Them: Good.
Me: Did you learn anything?
Them: No.

Now, I can't really remember what I learned in 3rd grade, let alone kindergarten. But I do remember going home, having a snack and doing my homework, and turning in papers at least a couple of times a week. So I wonder if school is going to ramp up a bit, now that the teachers have had time to access their classes, or will things just stagnate?

Up until this year, I have been relatively pleased with the kids' schools. Our school district is a good one, and is considered to be in the "Excellence with Distinction" Category. Who can complain about that?!? Now, I have said that Zoe has always had the more rigorous teacher, but all-in-all, I felt the girls were progressing. This year, our elementary school merged with another one (I think there are about 100 new kids added into the mix) AND we have a new principal. On top of that, the teachers always play musical chairs: Zoe's teacher this year taught 1st grade last year (and for many more before that). I think there will be time needed for adjustment to these changes, but how long do you give them? A month? Two months? Half a year?

You might wonder if I am going just on what the kids say. Nope, I have some things to back me up. The spelling words the kids have been coming home with are literally, first grade words. The math papers are a little better, but the reading work has been a little on the low side. My plan is to see how the girls are doing by the time conferences roll around. I am signed up to speak with both teachers on October 14. If, by that time, I do not have sufficient evidence that the girls are doing 3rd grade or higher work, I will be saying something -- first to the teachers and then to the principal.

You might also wonder about Aaron. Despite the fact that things in the kindergarten arena also seem to be slow to get going, I have faith. Talia had this teacher and learned from her. She became a better reader, writer, and more confident in school after having Mrs. H. Her awareness of math concepts also improved after kindergarten, so I am hoping that the extra kids in the class this year won't take away from Mrs. H's ability to shepherd her flock.

Look for another School Days posting to follow-up, I am sure!

Comments

Kelsey said…
Chris - Obviously I only have the K perspective on this... I keep reminding myself that when I taught I used to feel like a large portion of the first six weeks of school were often about getting the kids used to the routines/expectations/etc. So I am trying to give it six weeks before I start to make any big judgments! Not that I didn't teach anything for the first six weeks, but the content definitely picked up as the year went along.

I'm definitely interested in hearing how your experience changes as the year goes on!

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status