Grounded!

I received a phone call today from Aaron's teacher.

When I saw her name on the caller ID, I thought perhaps she needed me to volunteer my time.

I couldn't have been more wrong.

Remember, this kid has red hair, and a passion like no other.

He needs to channel that passion properly.

Wrestling with another child on the playground and practically choking that child is NOT the proper channel.

I was completely livid, not to mention mortified that I had just spoken to Aaron's teacher about a behavioral problem. I dragged Aaron upstairs to my room, shut the door, and sat him down for a conversation. According to Aaron, the kids were playing. What were they playing? Vampire and Werewolf. What is that? I don't know, but it might explain why necks were involved. We discussed, at great length, how playing cannot involve touching other kids (tag not included). We discussed how he cannot push other children, and that he cannot be aggressive. We talked about making good choices, and whether or not his decision to put his hands around another child was a good choice. He acknowledged that it wasn't.

I don't think Aaron is a bad kid. I don't try to make excuses for him. There is no excuse to possibly hurting another child. But I do have to say that Aaron loves to play, and sometimes, with other boys, it can get a bit rough. Can the teacher ascertain from a distance what exactly is going on? I don't know. I didn't make any excuses to her, and I didn't let him make any excuses to me. For now, the kid is grounded: no computer or TV for the week, which means no Dr. Who! If we hear about another issue, then soccer is off the table completely. I am hoping that the idea of no soccer is enough of a deterrent to put my little man in line.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status