Rationalization

I was going to post about one's ability to rationalize, and how I felt that if one finds the need to do so, to rationalize and rationalize again after making a choice, that perhaps the choice wasn't the correct one in the first place.

And then I thought that someone out there, a writer much better and more profound than myself, had to have spoken about rationalization before.

Sure enough I could find a quote. In fact, the one I liked best is from Ayn Rand (something I find so ironic for many reasons that I won't go into here): “Rationalization is a process of not perceiving reality, but of attempting to make reality fit one’s emotions.” 

Go think about that for a bit.

Comments

Julie said…
is it possible that rationalizing helps one come to terms with a set of choices which are all crummy? I guess context is everything, but you do the best you can with what you've got, right?
Christina said…
Good point, Julie. I'll need to fill you in later.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status