Fiesta Time

If someone asked you why you cooked each day, what would you say? I'd say that I cook so we can eat. That's the answer, plain and simple. Most of the time, I don't enjoy cooking. But if I don't cook, I'll have four hungry children on my hands, and someone would call social services on me. So what I normally cook--relatively healthy menus--are largely unimaginative recipes meant to fill our bellies and leave enough leftovers so I don't have to cook the next day. (See, there is a method to my madness.)

Every once in a while, though, I cook because I want to. Say, for a birthday. Well today is one of those days. Dear old Timmy turns 44. Where did the time go? And since he never complains about my cooking (or lack thereof), I decided to make one of the meals he enjoys. It's a party for the palate, aptly named Fiesta Casserole, and found between the pages of Maryana Vollstedt's The Big Book of Casseroles.

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp oil
1 yellow onion, chopped (size can vary, depending on your liking for onion)
2 large eggs, beaten
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese (I'd use a bit more than this for a heartier filling)
1 can (4 ounces) diced green chiles
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 package (about 12) corn tortillas, cut or broken into strips
1 can (16 ounces) refried beans (or any bean, really)
3 medium tomatoes, sliced
4 cups Colby/Monterey Jack/Cheddar or some combination thereof

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small skillet, warm oil and add onion. Saute until tender, or about five minutes.
2. In a bowl, combine the eggs, cottage cheese, chiles, cilantro, seasonings and onion. I usually add a bit of cayenne to this step.
3. Oil a 9 X 13 baking dish (or smaller if you want a thick casserole) with oil, and add half of the following, in layers: tortillas, cottage cheese/egg mixture, beans, tomatoes, and cheeses. Before I toss on the cheese, I sometimes sprinkle fresh salsa on top. Repeat the layering.
4. Bake, uncovered, about 30 to 40 minutes until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before you serve it. Add toppings as desired (olives, guacamole, green onion, sour cream).

This meal goes well with a side of rice. And tortilla chips, of course. 

Happy Birthday, Tim. If you're reading this, you know what's for dinner.

Comments

Tanstaafl said…
Happy Birthday! Ancient!

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status