Authenticity

Knowing someone via Facebook isn't really knowing that person.

I know that statement is so profound for a Monday morning. I know I didn't need to say those words. But when I signed up for Facebook back in 2008 and started building my friend list, there were a few people who friended me and I thought, "Cool. They seemed so nice back then. Maybe I'll get to see how they really are."

And over the last seven years, I've learned that yes, those people might be pretty cool, but there was a reason I wasn't good friends with them in the first place. (In all fairness, they could very well be saying this about me, too.)

Now don't be hard on me. I realize that I just said it's hard to know people via Facebook. So each day, when I check on these people, I only get a two-dimensional glimpse into snippets of their lives. But you and I both know that you can tell a lot about a person by what they post.

What I've found out most recently is just how superficial and artificial people can be in the virtual arena. I don't do well with artificial; I prefer authentic. I hope you do, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status