Pants

Twice a week, I make a short trek from the parking garage, where I park the car, to the school in which I work. The two are connected by what I consider a human habitrail, but what is really a covered pedestrian walkway. The walkway is useful when the weather is extremely cold, snowy, or rainy. During that short walk, I am able to see the backs of many people. Sometimes, I try to recognize students from the back, and sometimes, I just admire people's sense of style. Today, I happened to look at the pants of several people in particular. Why? I don't know, so don't ask.

First up, was a lady with long, black hair. Her hair was very pretty, in fact, and nicely highlighted. She had on a simple black, form-fitted sweater (it was 1 degree above zero, so why she wasn't wearing a coat is beyond me), tight gray pants, and long, leather, black boots that went from foot to just above the knee. From the back (I actually never saw her from the front), she was quite attractive, and was able to carry off her look easily. My first thought? Wouldn't Tim just love to see me in those boots? My second thought? Boy, would I be uncomfortable wearing that outfit. I looked down at my cotton pants, sensible brown shoes, and wool sweater. I think I cringed, seeing the ensemble, and decided that in the next new year, updating my wardrobe and trying something new might just be in the works.

She passed several people as she walked on the path. Most of the people were women, who looked her up and down. Let me reiterate that this woman really did look nice, and was able to wear her outfit well. I am guessing that the women she passed, most of them clothed in jeans and sweatshirts, perhaps had the same thoughts I did.

Other pants I saw during that walk were not nearly as exciting. Some jeans, a few sweatpants, and a couple of pairs of what I would consider slacks. Do they still use that word? Aren't slacks just nice pants?

I passed through the double doors that led into the hallway of the building, and stopped at the coffee shop. A young man was pouring himself some coffee, and since his pants were right in front of me, I happened to notice them. He was not wearing tight pants at all. In fact, his pants were situated at a very strange angle, and the waist of his pants was directly over his bum cheeks. You know the sort...the pants practically hang off of the person, and threaten to fall down at a moment's notice. I understand that wearing the pants this way is a type of style, but I so wanted to ask the young man how you get the pants to stay on. Does he worry that the pants will fall off? And if that happens, what is underneath? Does someone that wears the pants this way actually have a back-up pair underneath, or just a pair of long boxers? Does anyone know? Furthermore, does anyone but me care?

The whole topic of pants got me thinking about the kids and their pants. All of the kids so far prefer soft cotton pants. Aaron has 4 pairs of cargo sweatpants that look nice enough for school. The girls have a plethora of yoga pants. Each of the kids own a pair of jeans, but I rarely see them wear them. So far, Melina seems to be following in their footsteps, as she will pick out the cotton pants in her drawer when we force her to wear clothes. At this point, she is in her NUDE phase, and prefers to NOT wear pants at all.

Thankfully, Melina's style is NOT something I see as I make that trek two times a week!

Comments

Kelsey said…
My kids prefer the cotton pants too. Michael always claims any with an actual button/zipper are too tight!
The only problem with the yoga pants is that they sometimes wear too quickly. Something about the way Harper plays makes her hard on the knees of her pants.

I don't understand the thing with pants half way down either...

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status