CSA Happiness

Tim and I finally joined a CSA. For those of you not in the know, CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. You essentially are able to buy mostly local, organic, seasonal food directly from a farm. We chose one that 2 other people we know are using. We've been talking about joining for 3 years. Took us a bit of time to take the plunge, no?

This post could develop into a much longer post at some point, but I thought I'd just mention how happy I am with the CSA. The first week's delivery was a bit daunting: I didn't know if the mystery vegetables were beets, turnips, or kohlrabi. After searching the internet, I found out that we were the proud owners of some kohlrabi, and I needed to find a way to use it. I did. It wasn't my favorite, but my friend told me a better way to prepare it and I will do so next time.

Putting lettuce to use has been easy, of course, and so has using up cucumbers, tomatoes, black raspberries (yum) and onions. But I have had to dig around a bit and become a bit more daring in order to use up our kale, beets, cabbage, and fresh herbs. While the kids haven't been completely thrilled with the menu, they've tried most of the fare, and to be honest, I've had a lot of fun experimenting. I was in a food rut, and I think the CSA has pulled me from those depths.

In case you are wondering, I have used The Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home as a guide for preparing our meals. They have so many good -- and by good I mean tasty, not bland -- recipes that I use as is, or I tweak. That book has been my life saver!

Comments

Kelsey said…
It would be interesting (to me) to get an idea of what you receive over the course of the summer. I love the idea of a CSA, but I worry that there will be lots of things we can't use...

I always steam veggies, or roast with olive oil, garlic, kosher salt, and pepper - not sure if that would work with everything. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status