Writing Workshop Wrap-up

This past Wednesday was the last day of my writing workshop.  Oh, how I wish there was going to be another one...I'd have signed up in a heartbeat.  Perhaps I will again in the fall.  The class was full of insightful, kind, funny, talented ladies, all of whom I am proud to know.  I am also expecting to see these same ladies on the shelves of the local bookstore someday.  (No pressure or anything.)

So what did I learn?  Two overwhelming ideas first jump to mind.

1. Writing a novel is very difficult.
2. Critiquing another person's writing and making sure your statement is positive is also very difficult.

Of course, I think I knew those going into the class.  But here is what I didn't know, but I know now, and hope to apply to my own writing.  I am only listing the top five.  Anything else, well, you'll just have to sign up for your own workshop!

1.  Start the story off with a bang.
2. Keep the tension high:  the more conflict the better.
3. Make the character's motivation very clear from the beginning, and don't waver.
4. Show, don't tell.
5.  Make sure to find critical readers who aren't afraid to give you good feedback.  Hearing "It's great!" is nice, but hearing "This is how it could be better..." is even nicer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status