Messages

Here's a message I received yesterday:

Date:2/12/2014 3:17:23 PM
From:S******, D***
To:C********, Christina
Subject:Lab Grade I was wondering what grade is a 41 out of 50 score

The message, shown exactly as written, is bothersome for many reasons, any of which you can imagine, but mostly because of the minor math problem that apparently escapes this student.

This is college, people. And I didn't miss it last semester.

At all.

(In case you're wondering if I'm too harsh, I asked the kids what a score of 41 out of 50 meant. They gave me this scoop: its 82% and a B-. Well, my college kids are in luck; we don't hand out minuses since we've been using the standard scale for ages. AGES. So this student gets a B. At least I know that my children will understand this concept before they go to college.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status