Pest Control

No one likes to talk about--or admit to having--bugs in their house. But sometimes, it happens...

We came back home from a week's vacation to find an infestation of fruit flies. Anyone who has ever studied the small but mighty Drosophila melanogaster knows why they've been a staple of laboratories for years: the fly breeds quickly and lays many eggs (it also has only four pairs of chromosomes and is relatively easy as far as insect husbandry goes).

After Tim had killed 20 or so flies and I had smashed at least 10 (in addition to Aaron's harvest of 6), I decided that my hands would feel much better if I found a different solution than simply slamming my fingers against the kitchen cabinets.

And where did I find my handy dandy solution? The internet, of course.

A capful of red wine vinegar and a drop or two of liquid dish soap later, and I had myself a real trap for these flies!

I'm not usually into showing carcasses...
Which just goes to show you that you don't always catch more flies with honey than you do with vinegar.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ugh! Fruit flies are such a nuisance... I'm going to try this. Thanks :)

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status