No $&*#!@ ball in the house!

My friend Sarah is not just an athlete, she gets sports. She's competitive & talented, and I'm not just saying this because I'm going to tell her I mentioned here (but I am). Shortly after Chris and I became parents, and a little before Sarah became a parent, we were talking about indoor rules. Her main point was that all the rules about playing inside seem designed to discourage athletic activity: No running in the house, No playing ball in the house, no jumping down the steps, and on and on. That's the kind of sportschick she is (Sarah, if you object to being referred to as a sportschick, just tell me so and suggest a replacement term).

For precisely the reason Sarah cited, I've always been kind of lax about enforcing the rules against horseplay in the house. I'll say things like "No running," or "No soccer," but my heart's not really in it. I like seeing the kids learn to use their bodies.

The passageway from the living room (a favorite play area) to the family room (another favorite play area) has a lovely set of French doors. Each door has fifteen glass panes, about 7"x10" arranged in a three by five grid. Right there, ignoring everything else in both rooms, we have 30 opportunities for an accident. Dear reader, you see exactly where this is headed, so I won't keep you in suspense. The pictures are below.


Somehow, the pane managed to break in this nice flattened oval shape, so I didn't have to file it down before covering up the edges with duct tape.

Comments

Kelsey said…
I'd like to know whether this was handled calmly when it happened.

I don't think I would have known to employ duct tape for the sharp edges, I'll be filing that away for future reference.
Timmy said…
Zoe was a little upset because she didn't want to tell me what happened. Nevertheless, the whole incident was handled with the utmost tenderness and calmness.

Lest you think we're softies, they receive their share of decibels from both parents when they refuse to listen.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status