Silence

I met a woman the other day at a lovely book party. She said she loves order and silence. She only has one child, and that might be it for them, partly due to her penchant for order and silence. I guess when you have twins first, you never get order and silence, but I could use a bit right now. Then again, I shouldn't complain, as the only thing I hear right this instant are the keys I am tapping and the whir of the washing machine. Yum.

Yesterday morning -- after having to say to the kids multiple times to "sit down, finish breakfast, get shoes on, get moving!" -- I told them that I wanted to take a break from mornings.
Me: I am going to let Daddy do mornings from now on. I will just sit with my cup of coffee in peace.
Talia: What are you going to do? Just sit there?
Me: Yes, sit and drink my coffee.
Talia: And watch TV, right?
Me: [chuckling] No. I'll just sit and enjoy the silence.
Talia: What silence?
At that point, I realized she was right. Even if Daddy took care of things in the morning, silence would be hard to come by. And to be honest (as I've said multiple times), I wouldn't have it any other way.

Comments

Kelsey said…
Chris,

I'm so behind on blog reading so I am just seeing this now, but it makes me smile.

My kids are shriekers - so there is no silence here either, ever! Unless Michael is napping and Harper is gone.

Ah - those kids, I'm told we'll miss them when the grow up and leave home. :-)
Kelsey said…
p.s. We babysat that little boy last Friday and she might not be thrilled that Harper taught him to roar, loudly.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status