The Best Things About Christmas

We had a wonderful and relaxing Christmas. Food was good, the weather was fine, and we at least had some extra family around (thanks, Mom and Dad!).

The best parts (aside from Grandma and Grandpa)? In no particular order I would say:

1. Gnocchi. The recipe was pretty easy, and they tasted pretty good. I might experiment with another recipe, but the taste brought me back to my childhood.

2. Dish drainers. I've been meaning to replace my dish drainer for ages. The drainer itself was rusting, and the plastic upon which it rested was no longer able to be cleaned. No amount of bleach and scrubbing got it looking nice. Mom and Dad surprised me with a new set. Cool!

3. Melina sleeps. The kid actually slept pretty well! Those of you that know me well know that I have cultivated a non-sleeper. Despite a hacking cough, Melina gave me a very nice Christmas present in allowing me just a bit more shut-eye.

4. Presents. Santa chose wisely this year, as did all the people who love the kids and send them presents. The toys that managed to show up under the tree are stimulating and interesting, and so far, all four of them are doing a pretty good job of playing with them -- together. Oh, excuse me. I guess I should say all five of the kids are playing with them, as I should include Tim in that number.

5. Feelings. It is difficult to separate the Christmas tree from the presents from the birth of Jesus. I have often thought about celebrating secular Christmas at a point in time separate from Jesus' birthday. How can I expect the little kids to understand that we believe the birth of Christ to be spectacular, and oh, Christmas isn't just about giving presents? Don't we give presents to show we love one another? Isn't love a paramount feeling at Christmas? I think I'd need to discuss this with the clergy or a philosopher in order to get anywhere, but I'd like to believe that Tim and I are doing an okay job getting through to the kids the importance of Jesus, the significance of giving (especially to those who have nothing) and how we all need to be grateful.

The list could be longer, but the dishwasher needs to be unloaded. Mom went back yesterday, and my built-in helpers aren't nearly as helpful as she is!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status