Wake Up Calls

A week ago, I fell asleep on the living room couch at about 7:30 pm. You might think that makes sense, considering I work at home full time, teach part time, and have children and animals. However, while I do go to sleep early many nights, falling asleep at that time of the night is akin to napping -- something I really can't do. Ever. Unless I have just given birth. Clearly, I have not done that since 2008.

The week had not been that full, nor had that day, and I hadn't over caffeinated myself (too much caffeine drives me down, not up). What was the problem then, you ask? After much thinking, I pinpointed the problem: my sugar intake, most likely simple and refined sugars.




That is my friend, Glucose, above. Isn't it lovely?

I happen to be a sweet fiend. I like most (well-made and tasty) sugary treats, and I absolutely love ice cream. With all the Easter candy we have floating around here, I have been catching myself dipping into the pot. Several times a day. Then, at the end of the day, some ice cream sounds nice, too. I am pretty certain I'd been ingesting too much sugar for too many days. I was practically comatose as I pulled myself off of that couch, and the feeling shook me up and woke me up. Glucose, my friend, you are out!

So, this week I have tried my best to limit my intake of sugar. I declined a bit of Russian pastry that Tim offered, and I had only a small bite of Melina's chocolate ice cream. Yesterday, I had a peppermint patty. Today I have had zero sugary treats. I plan on trying to make it all the way through the day without one.

***
I was putting Melina down for a nap today, when I heard the front door open and shut. First off, I figured that Aaron had gone outside. Not a problem, but if he is going to be in the front yard by himself, I prefer to be downstairs. Playing in the backyard, with the dog, when I am upstairs is fine. Then, I heard the dog frantically barking.

I excused myself from reading to Melina to go investigate. As I was opening the door, there was a knock. On our porch was a very large man. Someone I knew, but Aaron did not. Aaron was in the front yard, by the tree.

I spoke to the man and then called to Aaron. I brought him inside and we had the following conversation:

Me: Do you know that man?
Aaron: No.
Me: Should you be outside with a man you don't know?
Aaron: No.
Me: Should you be in the front yard by yourself if I am not downstairs?
Aaron: No.
Me: Did you go outside before the man arrived?
Aaron: Yes.
Me: If a man you don't know arrives when you are outside by yourself, what should you do?
Aaron: I don't know.

This poor kid was probably wondering why I was a little perturbed. I would have been more perturbed if I didn't know the man on the porch. I explained, gently to the little red head that there are people out there that can be mean. I reminded him of a self-defense class that he attended, where they learned what to do about strangers. I informed him that if a person arrives that he doesn't know, he should come in and find me -- right away! I didn't want to scare the kid, but sheesh!

To the man's credit, he did knock on the door because he figured I wouldn't want my child out there with someone he didn't know. Thank goodness it was him instead of someone else!

Comments

Kelsey said…
That is a good reminder not to stop talking about the stranger stuff... our kids are smart but not necessarily street-smart. I would THINK Harper would know better, but maybe not.

Occasionally there are perks to the peanut allergy thing - all my favorite sweets and nut/peanut butter treats which are never in our house. The rest is largely easy for me to ignore. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status