Lolly, Lolly, Lolly...

If there is one thing this writing workshop has taught me, it would be that I love adverbs.  In fact, I love them dearly.  Get it?

I always knew that I was a flowery writer:  I'd use several adjectives to describe the nouns, and then move on to many adverbs for the verbs.  And of course, I'd try to say whatever I just said, one more time.  In fact sometimes, I'd simply belabor the point all in the name of description.  I don't know why I did/do.  The whole approach is fine for venues such as this, where posts are pretty short and the entire setup lacks formality.  But apparently, when you write a piece that you hope to get published, you should go back and check said piece for unwanted words.  You must strike the adverbs in order to move forward.

I am not sure I am completely on board with that idea.  I like knowing that someone told me something brusquely, or that the child padded lightly down the hallway.  I guess someone could retort something and the child could just tiptoe.  To me, they just aren't the same.  And who could forget one of the most worthy of all adverb examples:  But choose wisely, for while the true Grail will bring you life, the false Grail will take it from you.*  Take out the wisely, and take out the impact.

*Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, 1989.

Comments

Teresa said…
I wholeheartedly** love adverbs.

**See? :)

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status