Reasons to be Happy

Have you ever read the book, Reasons to be Happy by Katrina Kittle? The book is considered juvenile fiction/Independent reader, and due to the subject matter, is suitable for ages 12 and up. The premise (right from the inside of the book): "Eighth-grader Hannah Carlisle feels unattractive compared to her movie star parents and cliquish Beverly HIlls classmates, and when her mother's cancer worsens and her father starts drinking heavily, Hannah's grief and anger turn into bulimia, which only her aunt, a documentary filmmaker, understands."

I read the book last year, and thought it would be a great one for the girls' book club to select, when we, the parents, thought the subject matter was appropriate. In short, the girls will be entering middle school; we've decided to let them read the book and discuss it. In the meantime, the kids have taken it upon themselves to write up their own reasons to be happy.

Which leads me to think that we should all write up our reasons and look at them every day, so that we might find peace and joy (Tara's words) in all of the little things with which we surround ourselves. So here is the start of my list. I might add to it from time to time, and see where this project takes me.

1. Quiet time at 5:30 am.
2. The first ray of light that peeks through my window in the morning.
3. The smell of Downy fabric softener.
4. The feel of our cool sheets against the skin of my arms.
5. The fuzzy hair on the top of a baby's head.
6. Really good vanilla ice cream.
7. Sand squishing through my toes.
8. Walloon Lake.
9. Sisters.
10. My kids.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status