Some friends we used to know back in Ann Arbor contacted me last week to find out if we wanted to meet up sometime this week. They'd be coming up from Texas (where they now live) and heading to New York and would be driving right up I-75. What luck for us, and what a ride for them! I asked if they wanted to come to our house for dinner, as opposed to going out, since they'd likely be eating at restaurants a lot on the road.
I love having company, partly because--despite my introvert nature--I like people (at least a good number of them). I also like to have a reason to make dessert. And this summer, so far, we haven't made one of our favorites: Eclair Cake.
Craig, Tami, and their kids helped remedy that situation. I'm holding myself back from having it for breakfast.
2 packages of instant vanilla pudding (3.5 oz variety)
1 container of whipped topping, previously thawed (8 oz variety)
3 cups milk (skim, lowfat, or whole)
Graham cracker squares (about 3/4 of a box)
Chocolate frosting (homemade or in the tub)
1. In a large bowl, add the pudding mix to the milk and use a hand mixer to combine. Fold in the whipped topping, then make sure to mix until uniform in color/thickness.
2. Arrange one layer of graham cracker squares in the bottom of a 13 x 9 inch pan. Spread half of the pudding mixture over the graham crackers and then place another layer of crackers and the remaining pudding mixture.
3. Top with a third layer of graham crackers.
4. Warm up the frosting in the microwave for a few seconds until thin and spread over the cake.
5. Cover, and chill at least 4 hours before serving.