Mirror, Mirror, On The Wall

The mirror has never been my favorite thing. I don't remember at what age I started to become especially critical of the way I looked, but at some point, it happened. My eyes weren't right, my nose was too large, my teeth could have been better. I tried reflecting (horrible pun there) on the good things, but you know how it is sometimes. Despite all the blessings you have, you see everything that you don't.

I find it fascinating, then, that Melina loves the mirror. I know -- that really shouldn't surprise me. Or you, for that matter, if you know anything about Melina. A kid who loves pink, princesses, fashion, and hair bows will probably like the mirror. But what I think is most fascinating to me is what I imagine goes through Melina's brain when she looks in the mirror.

Sometimes, I find Melina standing in front of the mirror, clothed in old pajamas and slippers, a big smile on her face. Other times, she stands there all decked out in fancy accoutrements, again with the same smile. It doesn't matter to her whether she is wearing those fancy accessories, because in her head, she is beautiful no matter what she has on. The fancy duds -- the pink headband with the flower, the sparkly shoes, the long braid -- they all are just icing on the cake she already is. And I love that! She is mesmerized by her own beauty, and I am mesmerized by her.

Of course, it doesn't matter to me what she wears or what she looks like. She is Melina, and I love her. Do I happen to think she is beautiful? Well of course; I am her mom, after all. I always tell her that it is the beauty within that we need to worry about more than what we look like on the outside. I don't want her to grow up vain. On the other hand, I think she should take pride in and be happy with what she looks like. I hope she is always this accepting of her looks, and if I could bottle that feeling she has, that complete and utter satisfaction at knowing you are a thing of beauty, I'd give it away for free.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status