Does Not Compute

"Hey Tim," I said.  "Do you think I should color my hair again?" 

The red stripes have faded, and while I realize that everyone and their mother now have colorful stripes in their hair, I kind of like the red haze that hangs in front of my eyes. I might just want to do it again, but I thought I'd see what Tim had to say.

"Well, sure.  If you want to," he replied.

I realized, within the span of a few moments, that I had asked the wrong question.  What I wanted to know was if he liked the color in my hair. Clearly, he didn't get that.  And I can't fault him for it.  I really didn't ask that question.  I just thought he'd figure it out. 

But this is Tim we're talking about.  He is not only male, but Tim.  Clueless, scattered, absent-minded Tim.  The man who can solve a differential equation with ease but can't quite manage to remember to each lunch.  And those kids of ours?  He can't remember names anymore; they are just numbers.  (Just kidding, but if we had any more, he might get to this point quickly.)

I won't belabor the point.  But our little conversation, or lack thereof, has given me the reminder to converse properly with my mate.  I must make sure the input is in proper order for him to compute and put forth the expected output.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Detours Just Aren't Worth It