Random thoughts as of late...

In the flurry of activity that goes with hosting Thanksgiving, I've let my mind wander away from the tasks at hand. Don't get me wrong...I don't mind hosting. Actually, we offered, as we didn't want to have to drive 4 hours with 4 kids and a dog, plus find a cat sitter for the weekend. So, having people come down here should be easier for us, but getting the house ready has made me want to escape. Why, might you ask?

Because let me tell you: cleaning up after 4 kids, a dog, 2 cats, and 2 adults is not too bad, but KEEPING it all clean is a bear! Here is my usual conversation with the kids after they get home from school:

"Didn't I just throw that piece of paper in the recycling bin?"

"Yes, mommy," says one of the girls. "But that one is Aaron's. You put mine in the recycling bin."

"Why is this hat still up here? Doesn't it belong in the basement?" I ask.

"Well, we don't want to play with it in the basement, we want to pull all of the dress-up clothes up here, so that we can put on a show (and then leave them all over the floor for you to trip on)."

Okay, they didn't add that little bit. But seriously, even though 3 of our kids are old enough to clean up after themselves, and they do a pretty good job, it is the little things that really get to me. The things that meander away from their holding tanks, the crumbs that are perpetually on the floor, the sink full of dishes that just never seem to go away, and the laundry! Don't get me started with doing laundry for 6 people, one of which attracts food on his shirt like a magnet. That same, unnamed person, has issues with the toilet, too. CLEAN toilets and 4 year old boys just don't seem to jive.

Why then, am I sitting down at the computer to write instead of doing all of the above said work? Because I want to. I figured out the other day that the amount of "me time" that I take is not nearly enough. So sitting for 15 minutes at the computer with a cup of decaf coffee and some animal crackers is my reward for the day. If doing this today helps make me a better mom to a sick baby and 3 kids that are arguing, it was worth doing this as opposed to scrubbing that sink. Don't you think so?

*I should note that Tim and I talked long ago about whether one of us would stay home with the kids, or if we'd both be working. I chose this life willingly, and would do so again. I consider us especially blessed, with healthy, happy kids and animals, a roof over our heads, employment, and food to eat. Just remember, I am especially sleep deprived as of late.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status