Interesting

I have a very good friend, Eben, who called me once on my use of the word interesting.

"Chris," he said. "You use that word when you aren't quite sure what to say to me. You use it when you disapprove, but are too polite to say so."

I thought about what he said, and I found he told the truth. Not that I expected him to lie to me, but each time I used the word from that time forward, I checked to see in what context I used it. I still can call a film or a book or a story interesting, as in something that holds my interest. But if I pull out the old in-ter-est-ing, in that slow tone of voice, chances are that I just might be trying to tell you that I don't agree, or that I disapprove.

Well, this week, I was corresponding with a person via email, one that I do not know well. I had reason to email him, considering he did our taxes. Yes, this year, we farmed it out. With Tim's regular job and teaching schedule, as well as my regular job and teaching schedule, there was no way either of us was going to get to do our taxes. Aaron probably would have offered, but right now, I just don't trust the kid! So, we called up our friendly financial advisor for a recommendation and went with the person he recommended.

Long story short, he did our taxes, but I needed to contact him with a question. A couple of emails later, and a question from him regarding a quote that I use in my signature, and I get back an email that ends: "You are interesting -- thanks."

I wasn't quite sure what to make of that. Does he really think I am interesting, and if so, how so? Did I make his day with my explanation of why I have that quote along with my signature? Does he dispprove of me somehow, and here's one I just thought of: Was he flirting?!? Who knows. Corresponding via email is definitely hard on actual communication. Things get lost in translation, as they say. In my mind, the translation just isn't there without the tone of the sender's voice and the body language that goes along with it.

Either way, I guess interesting is better than boring, right?

Comments

Kelsey said…
You ARE an interesting person Chris - though it is sort of odd for someone to say that over email...

Now I'm trying to remember which of my comments you've said were interesting! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status