Plain White T's Fan Club

It is my fault. Really, it is. I enjoyed listening to "Rhythm of Love" on the radio so much, that I thought it would be best to request the CD from the Library. Before the CD came in, I did some research and found out (duh!) that these guys also sang other good songs, namely "Hey There Delilah" and "1, 2, 3, 4" to name a few. How did I not figure this out?

In any case, the kids were thrilled with all of the songs on Wonders of the Younger. The liner notes did not contain the lyrics, but 3 out of 4 of our children have figured out the words, and sing (quite loudly) most of the songs. They love "Irrational Anthem," and Aaron pretty much break dances to that one in the living. "Boomerang" is also popular. I have to be honest: the Plain White T's get me going, too. I appreciate that, for the most part, their lyrics are clean, and if I ran while listening to music, their tunes just might give me my best time yet.

The second CD we borrowed from the library, Every Second Counts, was also popular with the kids. Again, no lyrics in the liner notes, but that didn't matter. Only one of the songs had a bad word in it, and we've discussed appropriate (and inappropriate) use of words with the kids before. Melina didn't even notice the word, most likely because we just don't use that kind of language around here. The girls were happy to know that "Hey There Delilah" was on this CD. It is a good song, in my opinion.

Last night, we picked up the 3rd CD from the library (Big Bad World). The girls were at piano when Aaron and Melina went with me to get the CD. Aaron was so excited, he just had to slip the CD in the car audio system to hear the songs, even though it takes maybe 2 minutes to get from the library to our house. He was happy with the first song, and I figured that, yet again, we'd struck gold with the Plain White T's. Aaron found one song in particular that he liked, and by the time the girls got home, we were bopping around the living room to "That Girl." Aaron had set the radio to repeat. And repeat. And repeat.

This morning, when the song came on, and I was moving to the beat while slicing strawberries, I decided to look at the liner notes. Hey, there are lyrics! Woo hoo! I thought. But imagine your good mood coming to a startling and complete halt! The first part of the song is fine, but it eventually gets to the very catchy refrain (and then some):

And now I'm singing
Do do do you wanna be on top
Or on the
Ba ba bottom don't make me stop
Cause I know oh oh
I'm in la la love with you girl
I can't stop singing
Do do do you wanna spend the night
And wake uh uh up
Under the morning light

Really? I had no idea that is what the Plain White T's were saying when I was bouncing around the room. Do the kids know? Have they figured it out? More importantly, do they know the liner notes have lyrics? Should I hide the liner notes?

I do have a plan. If anyone asks, I am going to say that they are talking about bunk beds. And as they say, that is my story, and I'm sticking to it!

Comments

Kelsey said…
Oh- that is too funny about the lyrics. I listen to a lot of things that I will probably have to explain or put away when the kids are a little older, for now most of it goes right over their heads! :-)

I like some of those same songs - I might have to look into requesting those from the library.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status