Young Love

The girls are in 4th grade this year. If you don't know that already, then either you are new to the blog, or you just haven't been listening. Up until this time, boys have been relatively innocuous. The girls have had play dates with several of their boy friends, they've called the boy up the street to play, and they have complained about the rambunctiousness of some of their boy classmates.

This year, however, things have been different. The girls have been slightly distracted by boys, one in particular. I will call this boy Brandon, for the sake of clarity. From the beginning of this year, it has been Brandon this and Brandon that. I knew who Brandon was, for we all saw him at meet-the-teacher afternoon. Over the course of the year, though, I have gotten to know Brandon just a bit.

If the girls are going to like someone, I am glad that they picked someone like Brandon, and I can see why they have. He has long blond hair and warm brown eyes. He has two little brothers, I think, and seems to care about his siblings. He is intelligent and funny and more importantly, he is polite! At library time, when I check out his books, he always says "Thank you." What more can I ask for?

Well, yesterday we were talking about liking boys and the girls wanted to know who I liked in the fourth grade. Easy! I liked the same kid for three years in a row! He was tall, had dark hair, a cute space between his teeth, and dimples! Oh how those dimples came out when he smiled. I am sure there were quite a few of us 4th graders that swooned the day he walked into school. He was somewhat shy, but genuinely a kind fellow. The kids and teachers all liked him. His name was Bob. Okay, it wasn't really Bob. But he did have a very simple first name and we'll stop right there. I told the girls his name, but out of respect for everyone's privacy, I won't reveal it here.

Why? Because you can actually find this Bob on the internet. Turns out that the boy I went to school with for three years (he moved into the school and out again all within those 3 years) ended up doing some really good things over the years. He excelled in a sport in high school, such that a very good university offered him a scholarship. (That university, just so you know, is not one liked by a Wolverine fan, such as me.) Bob was, according to many accounts, a real student-athlete: very intelligent, hard-working, and gracious, both on and off the field, or court, or whatever. After college, he didn't make it in the big-leagues, but did play with some quasi-professional teams, and moved onto coaching. In that arena, he has done fantastic. This really is not a surprise, as his father coached several professional teams, as far as I know.

Well, the girls were curious. "Can you find a picture of him, Mom?" they asked. We hopped on the computer and looked him up. There were a couple of easily identifiable pictures there. Bob looked like a grown-up version of himself. And yes, the dimples were still there. In my opinion, he has grown into a very nice-looking fellow. Apparently, the girls disagree. Their response? "Was he cuter in the 4th grade?"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status