Holy Voice, Batman!

Melina has been a bit under the weather the last few days. She picked up a virus somewhere and I think it triggered croup. Two nights ago she had the barky cough, and now, she has a nice wet one. Sorry. But I simply state the facts. She won't be going to school again today, although I will probably drag her with me over to the elementary school to help out. Oh the woes of being the last kid.

Well, yesterday we decided to have some time with the Superfriends. We had borrowed the first season's volume from the library. I don't know who was more excited, Melina or me. We popped in the DVD and went to town.

First off, I recognized four things.
  1. I still love these people!
  2. There are lessons to be learned way beyond what I realized the first time I viewed the Superfriends.
  3. These episodes are far more entertaining and hilarious now than when I was a kid.
  4. We have underestimated the power of Casey Kasem.

Let me briefly explain. One of the episodes we watched had to do with a scientist who was trying to change weather patterns. I was amazed at how much information we could actually gleam from the Superfriends' conversations. They taught us a bunch about weather, the patterns that could be made, and technical words. Melina now knows what a barometer is. Of course, she also now knows Holy Hades! It's hot in here!

We also watched another couple of episodes, and I found myself laughing my behind off. I am certain I did more laughing yesterday than I ever did way back whenever I first watched the show. The laughter stemmed mostly from the dialogue. To wit:

Batman: [Looking for Wendy and Martin]...Probably climbed the mountain.
Robin: To see what they could see?

Robin: [After climbing a gigantic plant] Holy Jack and the Beanstalk! I'm really getting up in the world!

Batman: What does it look like?
Marvin: Well, uh...it looks like a U.
Superman: It looks like Batman?

Robin: King Midas! The kids were right. This is solid gold.

Batman: [seeing Aquaman on a stingray] That's our Aquaman. Always traveling in style.

One of the most amazing features I noticed yesterday was how many characters Casey Kasem voiced. I knew he had lent his voice to Scooby-Doo and Robin; I knew he used to host the American Top 40 on the radio. I had no idea that he was the voice of plenty of secondary characters on the Superfriends and other shows. Check him out at IMDB, and you will be more than impressed, if you ask me. I don't know if I am more in awe of the fact that he has lent his voice to so many characters, or that he feels just fine saying sentences like, "I've got to glue on these eyelashes real tight. That trip to Mars is a long way."

Comments

Bake-A-Holic said…
Hi Chris. Cute blog! Love your blog title and description. Heptadecagon and nerdy go slightly hand in hand ;)

Hope all your family feels better soon!!
T said…
First off I love this blog. Second off, dude, love Bake-A-Holic's sign on name. LOL

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status