Part Canine

This post probably falls under the I never knew that about you category. In fact, I might never have told anyone this, because it makes me seem strange. Whoa! I know what a few of you might right now be thinking. We already know you are strange! Right? No really, keep reading. This is somewhat weird.

Back when I was a kid, I used to think that I was part dog. You read that correctly. I am not kidding.

I was not certain of the breed, but right about the time I was eight, I was pretty sure that somehow, someway, my genes were not entirely human. It was all because of my ears. No, they weren't pointy or furry or even overly large. But every once in a great while, I would hear a high frequency noise in one ear, and no one else seemed to notice.

I remember asking my friends in school if they could hear the ringing that I did. All of them looked at me like I was crazy. Perhaps I was. But I knew I heard something, and the only thing I could equate it to was the dog whistle I read about in a magazine once. I thought perhaps our neighbor had blown his dog whistle, and that I somehow had the ears to hear it. There was often a buzzing sound that accompanied the high frequency sound, and sometimes a rushing as well.

I don't actually have a logical explanation, but today, it happened to me as I was standing in the kitchen. I was stirring my enchilada sauce when all of a sudden, I heard a whine, and then a rush, and to be truthful, my ear seemed energized. The noise that I was hearing through the affected left ear was sharper and clearer, and I could hear better, for just a bit of time, out of that ear. Weird, no? It was gone in a few seconds, but it had me thinking of the times when I would have sworn I was part canine.

I realized once I was older that the chances of me actually being part dog were quite slim, but when I met Tim, he was startled at how well I could hear. Many noises that I heard, he couldn't, and he could be in one part of the house speaking very lightly, and I'd still hear what he was saying. He told me I have bat ears. But since I had a bad experience with a bat once (Haven't heard that one? Perhaps I need to share it), I think I'd rather have dog ears.

Comments

cryptozoologist said…
chris,
your post motivated me to do a google image search on 'dog ears' and 'bat ears' i recomment it, you will be entertained.

peace
d

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status