Inspirations

Today dawned bleak and dreary.  After getting the kids ready for school, I laced my running shoes and threw my hair back into a ponytail.  I kissed each child on the forehead, and opened the front door.  The blast of humid air took me back a little, but I had no choice.  The run would be short, I had the time, therefore I would go.  I waved at the kids and Tim and headed out.

Despite the wet air, I found myself pumping my legs faster than normal.  Don't get me wrong, I do not run quickly.  But today, I was a bit quicker than I had been in a while.  I don't have an explanation for why. Perhaps I was just determined to get my run finished.

I charged ahead, up the small hill and over the bridge.  I turned left and then right, and went into the deep, dark, forest.  On a day like today, the space exuded dankness, and the ruffle of the humid breeze kept me company.  Up ahead, I could see a person jogging.  I couldn't see who it was, or how fast they were going, but they were moving.  As I approached, I realized the person was a middle-aged gentleman who moved along at his own pace.  Not too slow, not too fast.  But I would pass him easily.

I tend to be a very social runner.  Although I almost always run alone, I always say hello to anyone and everyone.  Sometimes I get a reply, and sometimes I don't. 
"Good morning!" I said, as I approached the man's side.  "Good morning," he said, and then continued, "You are an inspiration."

"Oh!" I exclaimed and then laughed.  "Thank you for the laugh."  He didn't say much, and in that instant, while I ran past him, I found my manners.  "Thanks, really," I said, pulling ahead and running away.

I chuckled for a bit, stretched my arms out at my sides, and shook my head as I continued my run.  I almost stopped at that point, though, as I realized that truly, I handled the whole situation in the wrong way.  I know what he meant in his statement.  Here he was, a man on the other side of 50 perhaps, being passed by an barely under 40 woman.  I imagine that he probably thought to himself, if only I could go that fast.  Perhaps I can.  Maybe I'll work my way up to it.  If she can do it, so can I.  He was inspired by my ability to run effortlessly by him, and he had thought to compliment me.  And what did I do?  Throw the compliment in his face.  I didn't even have the decency to simply say thank you and move on.  What kind of inspiration could I really be?

I thought about turning around, and apologizing to the man, but by then, I had turned up another hill, and I didn't know what direction he had chosen.  So I thought to myself, how can I right this?  Well of course, by trying to be an inspiring person every day, and to be aware of those things, events, and people that inspire me.  I don't have time to list them here, but every one of you readers has been an inspiration to me in some way.  Some ways have been big, others small, and not one would I trade for anything.

I learned my lesson this morning.  Try to live your life as if you want to be an inspiration to many.  Doing so can change your life.  And if someone gives you a compliment, always, always, smile and say thank you.  It is the right thing to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status