Hidden Books

I knocked on the girls' door quickly and went in.  Talia rushed to cover a book with her pillow, a look of extreme guilt creeping into her eyes.

"What are you doing?"  I asked.
"Reading," she replied.
"And what are you reading?"
"A book."
"What sort of book?"
"A book," she said, again.

All sorts of thoughts spun through my head.  Did she have Twilight under her pillow?  I won't let the girls read that series yet, but I have the first two books, and a friend of theirs is just finishing up New Moon. Or was she reading a kid book and was embarrassed for me to see it?  Was it a note from a friend, or worse yet, a boy?  Two seconds and all of those questions made the loop through the brain circuit.

I stepped into the room and pulled up the pillow.

And there it was...Natural Childbirth the Bradley Way.

I kid you not.  Talia, apparently, is interested in reading about natural childbirth.  Well the only thing better than a mom that teaches (and loves) anatomy and physiology would be a midwife or an OB.  She'll have to deal with second best.

"The pictures are interesting, aren't they?" I said.
"Um, yeah, they are a bit strange.  A little gross, too."
"Yeah, well, the good thing about being the one who has to push the baby out?  You don't have to see any of it."

She laughed.  And looked relieved.  I laughed and looked relieved, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status