It's a Wrap!

My semester ended on the 15th.  I gave my finals and took a few days to peruse the dismal grades.  In the end, with the extra credit I gave, the students of both classes managed to squeak out an acceptable grade distribution.  

However, as with any semester, there are some students who just aren't happy with their grades, and they want to blame the instructor.  This is the email I received from one young lady.
I was under the impression that you were going to curve the grades at the end of the semester? I was only wondering because my grade is so close to a B and was still holding out hope that I could make it to the B.
My reply?
I repeatedly stated over the course of the semester that I have to wait until the end of the course to see if a curve is needed.  Usually, the grades even themselves out due to the extra credit that I give.  In some circumstances, I do need to curve.  So far, based on the grades I am seeing, I probably will not have to, but I am still in the process of looking at the grades.  

I see that you did not turn in the two extra credit assignments that I posted [20 points total as mandated by the department].  Had you done those and gotten full credit, you might have been a little closer to the cut off.  I would keep that in mind for next semester when the instructor posts extra credit.  If I am mistaken and you sent those items to me electronically, you need to forward the email you originally sent with the time and date stamp on it, and I will put them in the gradebook.

Let me say to you that at the beginning of the semester, when I introduce myself, I tell the students that much of the class is conducted electronically.  I post updates, reminders, and grades online, as well as make links and class assignments available.  In addition, the extra credit opportunities are posted on the course website.  We were together for 16 weeks.  If the student had a problem with those policies, she had plenty of time to speak up and tell me about it.  Instead, this is what she said:
I did not do the extra credit. I do not own a computer, so the electronically sent extra credit I was normally not aware of.
Way to pass the buck.  She's stuck with a C.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status