Foiled Again

As much as I try to put most lunch items into reusable containers, there are a few times that I need to use conveniences like aluminum foil. A few hours ago, as I prepared lunches for the day, that was the case. Aaron's lunch box was almost full, and the piece of banana bread wouldn't fit if I put it into a container.

So I reached for the foil. I'm not a big believer in brand names, so the foil we currently have in the drawer came from Shnucks. If you've never had the pleasure of visiting a Shnucks, don't cry. It's no different than any other grocery store chain, really. But they're found west of Indianapolis and east of Kansas City, so maybe you've never encountered one before. Why do I have foil from this place? Because we attended a family reunion in Columbia, Illinois (another place you might not be familiar with), and our kids wanted to make hats on the drive home.

Yes, you read that right. The kids wanted to make hats out of aluminum foil. So on the way out of Coumbia--and anticipating at least a six hour journey home--we stopped at Schnucks for 200 square feet of aluminum foil. That's a lot of hats!

As it turns out, our kids didn't make too many hats that afternoon (hence the box of foil in my drawer) but when I tell people that story, they laugh. "You really stopped to get foil?" they say. "Yes, we did," I reply. "That's pretty cool," they say. "Yes it is," I reply.

But I have to ask this: if those people brought their own foil on their next long trip, maybe their kids would make hats, too. Or maybe something else: boats, the Eiffel Tower, a whole universe full of planets and stars, or a Christmas village. We don't own portable DVD players, and we don't usually bring the tablet with us on vacations. Our kids are forced to read, sing, play I Spy, color/draw or yes, make foil hats out of the wrappings of their lunches. Creativity in the car? It can be done and done well. You should have seen some of those hats.

Comments

Unknown said…
I remember this story! Thanks for the reminder - we have two long car trips coming up and I think I will buy a few rolls of foil
Christina said…
I remember telling you that story! I can see the number of wonderful things coming out of your car rides. Take pictures. I'd love to see them.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status