Warmth in December

If you live anywhere near me, you know it's cold outside. And when it's cold, I seem to find comfort in a bit of warm food. So you might wonder why I'm posting a cobbler recipe now, in the early part of December. No, I haven't made this recipe recently. In fact, I've never made it. But a colleague did, and I'm posting it so that I can remind myself how to find that bit of warmth I need right now. This peach cobbler was delicious and I'm thinking that this warm fruity dessert (with a dash of cinnamon if I add it) would be a wonderful addition to a cold December night by the Christmas tree.

Crust Topping:

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar (my colleague cut it to 1/2 cup and it was sweet enough)
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg, beaten

Filling:

2 T flour
3/4 cup sugar
4 to 5 cups fresh or frozen peaches  or blackberries
1 stick unsalted butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Combine the flour, sugar, and baking powder in a medium bowl.
3. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add the egg. Mix until the topping is crumbly and set aside.
4. For the filling, mix flour and sugar in a small bowl. Place the fruit in a large bowl and sprinkle with the flour and sugar mixture. Toss the fruit gently until they are evenly covered with the flour and sugar mixture.
5. Butter a 9 x 9 x 2 baking dish and add the fruit. Sprinkle the topping over the berries and drizzle butter over the topping.
6. Place on a baking sheet before baking, and bake for 45 minutes.

I took this picture from the King Arthur website. You can find it here, along with a gluten-free cobbler recipe, for those of you who are interested. Both cobblers look pretty much like the picture above. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some Detours Just Aren't Worth It