End of the Summer Wrap-up

School starts this week -- not a moment too soon for me. That sounds horrible, but I am being honest. This summer has been a difficult one for me. The kids have argued a bit too much, and it seems as though not enough work got done.

As of Tuesday, though, we will have two third graders and one child in kindergarten. Melina will stay home with me most of the time, although the babysitter will come when I head out to teach. I call the days she is with the babysitter Melina's "art school time" -- Brooke is an artist that loves children, and patiently puts together works of art with the kids when she comes to sit. So, I guess in a way, everyone will be in school.

We found out who the kids had for teachers two days ago. Aaron will have the same kindergarten teacher that Talia had. She is a sweet, approachable, lovable lady who clearly likes teaching kindergarten. She seems patient and kind, and Talia did really well with her. I think Aaron should thrive in her class environment as well. I don't know anything about Zoe and Talia's teachers, but Talia was assigned to the teacher that Zoe had hoped to get, and vice versa. Weird, eh?

***
Not too long ago, the kids stumbled upon Scooby Doo. I was a fan of those meddling kids when I was little, so I can understand the appeal. They have been watching some episodes of the newer version of the show, and playing Scooby Doo outside and inside.

Unfortunately, Melina has jumped on the bandwagon. Do I think she should be watching the show? Probably not. It has words like "stupid" and "dumb" in it, and other words we try not to use in the house. I usually can distract her with something else, if she wants to watch something, or I let the other kids watch the show when Melina is napping. However, Melina is taken with the words "Scooby Doo". She runs around yelling "Scooby Doooooooooo" at the top of her lungs (take my word for it, she is pretty loud), and has also come up to me and said, "I don't want to be spookified!" Thank-you, Shaggy (or should I say Aaron, as I believe it was he that taught her the sentence).

If this Scooby Doo phase sticks around, I plan on making Aaron's birthday cake (he'll be 6 in November) a Scooby Doo cake. I found some inexpensive action toys and hope to send for them. I think it would be pretty cute for the kids to be the characters from Scooby Doo for Halloween, too. According to Melina, Shadow is Scooby Doo, anyway, so we'd have everyone covered :)

***
School starts for me after Labor Day, so I have a bit of time to ease into everyone's schedules. Tim will be teaching a discussion section this year at a local university, just for the fun of it. He is a natural teacher, so I hope his students will realize just how lucky they are.

I hope to get more pictures up this fall. It is hard for me to write and do pictures, and I am not sure why. Writing usually takes precedent, and I just don't get around to the pictures. But the kids are getting older daily, and those of you that read this probably would like to see them. I'll do my best.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status