Under The Big Top

A couple of weeks back, the Shriners called us and asked if we'd support them by buying tickets to the annual circus. I asked them to call back the next night, and then I went and asked Tim. Tim is not a fan of clowns, and I certainly didn't want to buy tickets to something he wouldn't attend. And, I had no plans to bring 4 kids to a circus by myself.

Well, Tim works with a Shriner, so at work the next day, he spoke to the Shriner, and bought some tickets to the Sunday afternoon show. Melina was especially excited for the circus. She asked every day this past week if that particular day was the day we were planning to go. When she came down with a cold, I told her that she'd need to be better, and without fever, before she could go to the circus. Thankfully, a fever never manifested, and her symptoms abated by yesterday.

So to the circus we went. And let me say that we all enjoyed the show.

First off, we didn't have to pay to park. That seemed a little odd to both Tim and I, but we don't look a gift horse in the mouth. The lot wasn't nearly full when we got to the arena, so our parking spot was actually pretty perfect. Once inside the arena, it was easy to find our seats. The seats were very good ones; the little ones with us had no trouble seeing anything. I do think that all the seats were probably pretty good, but we were close enough to see faces and details that you might not be able to see further back.

Now, as many of you know, the Shriners are considered a charitable organization. So we didn't just go to a circus. They had set up an elephant ride, a pony ride, a snake photo booth, and a bounce house. These extras were interesting and cool, but thankfully, the kids didn't ask to get on any rides. I imagine that the tokens you bought to get on the rides were a way to raise more money, so they tried to serve as many people as they could. Therefore, the 1 pm show actually didn't start until 1:30 or so. It didn't matter too much. The rides and the clowns and just the entire aura were enough to keep our kids occupied while they waited.

Much to my surprise, the show itself was great. I have been to one other circus in my life, and I don't remember anything about it. But I think the kids might remember this one. There were dancers, jugglers, a balancing act, and a trapeze artist. People rode unicyles and bicycles; a couple performed a quick change scene; there were rhesus monkeys, elephants, dogs, high wire acts, motorcycles in a cage, balancing circles, and clowns. The kids sat there, mesmerized, with a bucket of popcorn (reasonably priced, I might add) and smiles on their faces. Aaron whispered to me at one point, "This is better than I expected!" Overall the show did not disappoint, and all for 10 bucks a ticket!

Was there a downside? We were there a long time, as I said, since the show also offered rides during an intermission, which seemed interminable to me! And, the price of the circus souvenirs seemed a bit high, but that is usually how it goes when it comes to shows like this. Nobody says that we need to buy a circus souvenir should we go again next year.

***
The one thing I did not post, or even bother looking up before we bought tickets, is how fiscally responsible the Shriners are. Do I care about whether or not they are a good charitable organization to support? Usually, I do. But in this instance, we went to see a circus, and to be entertained, and I am guessing that at 10 bucks a pop, there isn't much of that money that gets used for anything other than the circus. The information is out there...I am just choosing to ignore it this time!

Comments

Kelsey said…
I'm glad you guys had fun. I haven't been to a circus in YEARS but I did NOT like it when I was young. We've never thought of taking the kids...

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status