Walk Away

"I think I might be depressed," I said to my family at the dinner table.

"You do?" Talia asked.  "Is that bad?"

"Yes, it is bad, but no, I really don't think so,"  I answered.  I should know better than to kid about something as serious as depression.  The condition runs in our family and I know what it can do to a person when it catches someone in its claws.  Somehow, someway, the rampant depression genes skipped me over.  I thank God for that every day, and I am not kidding.

I looked at my family.  Three blond heads and one red-head, slurping spaghetti and talking loudly over one another.  They quieted again when I spoke, something that rarely happens.

"I don't know what it is," I continued.  "Actually, I do.  I am tired.  The cat has had me up every night for at least two weeks.  I'm just tired."  In my head, I went on with my rant.  And the living room is a mess.  You guys have been building that contraption for days.  Aren't you done yet?  I need to vacuum.  I mean, I NEED to vacuum.  The lack of control over my clean house is getting to me.  I want to walk away.

That last sentence sums it up for me right now, but I am glad that I didn't say it aloud.  I am not trying to whine or complain. I am just stating the facts.  I have a lot on my plate at the moment, and the thing I want to do right now is to walk away from it all.  Find myself a cup of tea, a good book, and a silent room, and hole up in it for days.  Weeks even.  Call that depression, call me a bad mom, call me what you want, but I'll call me being honest.  Because don't we all have days like that?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status