Stories to the Side

"I'm putting my story to the side," I said, letting everyone know that the piece I worked diligently on for many months would be set upon the shelf for a while. Maybe forever.

"I'm okay with that concept," I added.

And truly, I was. I am. I will be three months from now.

That first story of mine captured my heart and basically brought me to where I am today; it served an enormous purpose because it pushed me to sit and write, almost every day, which was good practice. The act has made me a better writer. You might not see the changes in my writing here, on this informal blog, but my manner of telling stories has made an about-face. My dialogue is more authentic. I no longer simply purge myself of exposition, and instead attempt to thread it throughout the story. I'm finding the balance for the techniques I've learned along the way. Writing is still a joy. Knowing that my writing is getting better makes the whole process even more joyful.

If I can see this experience as a move in the positive direction, can I ask a favor and require you to do so as well? Don't worry about the story sitting on my desktop. Harvey and Laney and what happens to them is a complete story, so they know their places in this world. But that story is told for right now, and I have no qualms about letting it go. Maybe forever, as I said above.

If I can let go, so can you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status