Trapped

"You should read The Discovery of Witches," someone said. So I requested it from the library, but couldn't get past the first chapter. "Try again," that same someone said. "It's a good book. I think you'll like it."

So, I tried again. And despite the overuse of adverbs (Seriously, Deborah Harkness needs to remember that it is possible to describe something using only the proper verb; and you know that I absolutely love adverbs, so she must have really gone above and beyond in her use of them.), I started to enjoy the book.

Until I got trapped.

By the book.

Why am I feeling trapped?

Because I want to know how the book ends. Which means that I will have to read the next two novels in the series. And this might be a problem, because mixed in with my enjoyment of this novel is the realization that the story is more adult Twilight than The Historian, an exceptional book to which I thought DoW could, at first, be compared. In fact, if I took a good look at both Twilight and DoW and brought out a pen and pad of paper, I might be able to track the similarities between the two books. Of course you all know that I don't have the time to do this, so it won't be happening.

In the event you want to read it for yourself, be assured that there is a major difference between these vampire novels. In DoW, the heroine actually thinks for herself, which is a character trait I find very appealing. So read it if you will. But if you want a really good (and long) book to read, try The Historian. You might feel trapped into staying up all night to finish it. But that's the sort of trap I don't mind walking into.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status