Bring On The Letters!

Each year, in January, I promise myself that this will be the year I get out Christmas and Hanukkah cards. That same year, in December, I curse myself for not doing it. I usually manage to send out a few, to people like my aunts and a few long, lost friends I don't speak with much, but I never do seem to get around to sending anything to people with whom I correspond regularly. Backwards, ya think?

Someday, when I put cards at the top of my priority list -- right after taking care of the kids and in place of running (gasp!) -- I'll be sending you a card. At that time, perhaps I will even include one of those letters. You know the ones. The letters that describe each and every accomplishment that Jane and Johnny did, leaving out the fact that Jimmy is currently in the state penitentiary.

In my opinion, you either love them, or you hate them. While I used to despise those things, I truly, honestly, seriously love receiving them! It doesn't matter if I see you and your family once a week, once a month, or once a year. I enjoy reading what happened in the lives of kids that are growing like weeds and look completely different than they did in the letter from last year. I appreciate knowing that it is a struggle for you to be a stay-at-home mom, and I really am glad to know that you had a blast on your vacations. There are so many mundane details and big events that I miss hearing about from friends and family, some of which are included in those letters. Bring them on, baby. And I mean that.

I just gave you permission to brag about your family to me. I should only have to say it once, no? If you are one of my single friends, do I still want to hear from you? Absolutely! You have a life (aren't you glad I think so?) and it should be just as full and rich as those of us with families, just in a different respect.

In all reality, though, will you receive a letter like that from me? Probably not. I love writing, but I prefer to write either semi-anonymously (i.e. this blog) or to you personally. So, if you actually do get a letter from me next year, it might be typed, but it would most likely not be a form letter. And since I don't even have time for cards, the idea of that letter, just won't be happening.

If I had written a letter this year, do you wonder what I might include? If you read this blog, you might already know this stuff. But for the fun of it, I'll repeat some of our year here.

January: The girls turned 8 (yikes!) and my goal of weaning Melina by 18 months went out the window. Teaching in the winter was fine, as I did most of it online. The girls started piano and voice, and they love it! It was a long January, since Tim was traveling and Aaron was sick.

February: Short month, not so short in winter. Running injury. Not much to say.

March: Melina's talking more and having a blast with the kids! The lives of Tim and myself seem not so exciting. Aaron did well at kindergarten registration, and because it is the law, he will be going to public school kindergarten! Congratulations!

April: Let's skip talking about this month. Always a bad one, full of viruses. Revisit our blog if you really want to know how Aprils are for us.

May, June, July and August: Great time was had by all! The kids all enjoyed the end of school, and we had so much fun driving just about everywhere! A first visit to Disney for the kids, and a trip to Walloon Lake were the highlights of the summer. Melina turned 2 and continues to be the life of the party! The goal of weaning Melina by 2, again, is out the window.

September: School is back on. Third grade, kindergarten, and babysitter for Melina.

October and November: Croup, Halloween and Aaron's birthday! The little man is 6, and not so little. Hard to believe. Again, Tim and I -- who are we? What do we do? What do we look like? Do we know, and does anyone care about our lives?

December: Great vacation from school (for me) and a generally nice Christmas vacation. Me and my lactating self are headed into 2011!

Aren't you glad I didn't write it?

Comments

TamiJ said…
I love it! And I love those letters too. Thanks for the update. Sometimes you learn more about people by how they share their story even if you already know the details yourself.
I've given up trying to do cards and letters for the holidays. It just adds extra stress to a time when I want to be with family. Instead, I'm going to shoot for sending out 4th of July cards and letters. I'm in a much better mood and, with the kids' birthdays in June, I have better photos and more news to share. See, I'm writing it down so now I'll HAVE to do it!
Kelsey said…
Oh good - glad you like the letters! Since I do the blog I make Matt write ours.

I didn't realize the girls too voice lessons too - I think Harper would like that and I'll have to remember to ask about it. Do you sing? Does Tim?

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status