We Should Have Named Her Joey

Last night, Tim and I watched a really cool program called, "In The Womb" on Nat Geo Wild. The first one we saw showed the development of kittens and lion cubs from the time of conception up until birth. The show utilized 3D and 4D ultrasound scans, computer imagery, and awesome photography to capture nature at its best. Being the physiologist that I am, this sort of program absolutely mesmerizes me. The second hour of the program focused on elephants, sharks, dolphins, and kangaroos.

Way back in the late 70s or early 80s, I received a stuffed Kanga and Roo (from Winnie the Pooh). I still have those animals, and since then, the kangaroo has held some fascination for me. I don't collect them or consider them my favorite animal, but everything about them is interesting. I remember seeing a nature special on them long ago, and being dumbfounded at the birth of a kangaroo. They are born 4 weeks after conception (and completely underdeveloped) and make an enormous climb (using only their front legs) into their mother's pouch. After that, they can spend the next 9 months maturing in said pouch.

The program last night showed the birth of the joey; we watched the little guy emerge from the mom, crawl up her body, and creep into the pouch. Once there, the joey latched onto the teat of the mom, which was almost as large as he was. The narrator then indicated that the joey will stay there, nursing continuously, for the next six months. Unlike mammals, joeys don't get nourishment from a placenta during development, they receive it from the milk of the mama. Interestingly enough (and duh!) the shape of the teat changes over time. It starts out as a nub that fills the mouth of the joey, then gets progressively longer and thinner. By the time the joey is ready to exit the premises, the teat resembles a soda straw [insert off-color jokes here].

At that point in the program, I let out a huge guffaw. Remember, Hi mommy milk, I'm Mimi? Or how about one I haven't written about -- What if mommy milk was hot cocoa...wouldn't that be funny? Ha, ha, little girl. I completely identify with that mama kangaroo! Sure, my kid was born mostly developed and all that, but since that time, 2 years ago, she's been attached to me! All milk aside -- if I had a pouch, she'd be in it -- guaranteed.

Can you imagine? I get to the lectern, put up my Powerpoint slides, and out pops Melina's head from my pouch! I'm running along the streets and Melina's hair moves in the breeze as she enjoys the rush of air and waves to her friends! I go to the gas station and pump the unleaded into the tank; Melina's hand shoots out from the pouch to catch my keys as they drop! The images just keep on coming. Please, someone, tell them to stop!!!

All kidding aside, one of the other remarkable things about kangaroos is the size of their Achilles tendons. It all makes sense, seeing as their powerful hind legs do so much, but if you ever get a chance to see this program, watch it. Even inside that pouch, once the hind legs start to develop, the force of the Achilles can be seen. Nerd? Yes. And proud of it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status