Filters

It's always a good day when you learn something new. What did I learn today?

I learned how to take the panel off the front of my furnace/AC unit. Of course that sets up the question as to why I wanted to do that in the first place, right?

Because yesterday, in my haste to replace a dirty filter (the fan had been running continuously for a few days and we'd had the AC on for much of late June and July) I inadvertently put the wrong size filter into the slot. Let me tell you. It's easier to fix the situation when the filter is too large: it won't fit through the opening. When the filter is too small, as it was in my case, it slipped all the way to the bottom, where it would sit for eternity (or until I decided to rescue it).

I don't know about you, but I wasn't sure exactly what to do with that contraption in the basement. I thought about trying to pull off a door, or unscrew a screw on the metal sheet underneath which I knew my filter was hiding, and then I thought, what if I really mess something up? That's when the light bulb went on in my head. While it is only August, I'd be calling for a furnace tune-up in September or October. Why not go ahead with that check and have the technician rescue the filter at the same time? Brilliant, I say!

So we did that. The technician arrived this morning and showed me how to properly remove the panel, should I have another moment of insanity and need to retrieve poorly fitting filters. I can show off my new found ability the next time you come to visit. Aren't you excited?

Comments

T said…
Oh dear. Your marbles. You've lost them, yes?
Christina said…
Yes! I lost those marbles a long time ago, really. I'm reminded of this fact every day, apparently!

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status