Statistics

Disclaimer: this post is not for the faint of heart. Nor is it for those that cannot discuss bodily functions. Now that I think of it, I might be posting one full of TMI. Just telling you now to leave. If you don't mind being disgusted, then read on.


According to Wikipedia, "the human body is about 60% water in adult males and 55% in adult females." These numbers are pretty consistent with most textbooks I have seen. If you actually want to know where that water resides, we usually say that there are two compartments: intracellular fluid and extracellular fluid.

In class we teach that approximately 2/3 of the 55-60% total water is found in the intracellular fluid; 1/3 is found extracellularly. What do these terms mean? If you understand intra- and extra- than you shouldn't have a problem. Essentially, intracellular means within the cells, while extracellular means outside of the cells. The extracellular fluid itself actually has 3 components: transcellular fluid, plasma, and interstitial fluid. If you'd like a refresher on these, the internet has a variety of sites at which you can find good information.

Have you ever wondered from where this water comes? We don't drink that much during the day, do we? Well, no. Our tissues do hold a lot of water, especially the blood, skin, and lean muscles. But effectively, that water is there from the get go. Why? Well, we need water. Our metabolic processes depend on it, sometimes it is a product of a metabolic process, and you can imagine what would happen if blood or muscle tissue did not have enough water: we'd be trying to pump sludge through our cardiovascular system as well as walk with the equivalent of beef jerky for legs (okay, well maybe I embellish a bit).

Yes, I am a physiologist, and I go over topics like this in our first quarter of the Biology series. But I have never truly appreciated the amount of water our bodies can hold until this past week. That is when the bug hit. Melina was the first to get it, and, since she eliminated herself from both ends on me, then I got it. I have been very lucky in the past: I usually succumb to colds, but GI bugs aren't too much of a problem. Not this time. And since I'd like to spare you the details, I just have to say that I have spent many of the past few evenings running back and forth to the toilet (praise God for indoor plumbing!). I have been unable to eat much, but I have tried to get some of the lost water back into the system. Despite feeling weak, tired, and nauseous (and no, I am NOT pregnant), I said to Tim the other night, "Man, do I have a new appreciation for how much water our bodies actually have in them!" Those statistics just kept going through my head, and I wonder what percent of my total body water I have lost. (I am sure I could figure it out, but as I said, being weak, tired, and nauseous, it just isn't going to happen).

In any case, I hope if you are reading this, our little GI germ didn't manage to make its way into your house via the computer line. If it did, get yourself some extra soft tissue, as you will definitely need it.

Comments

TamiJ said…
I can count on one hand the number of times my family has fallen to a GI bug---thank goodness. It IS amazing what the body can hold and release during a purge! Hope everything is back to normal soon!

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status