Au Secours!

The first part in fixing a problem is admitting you need help, right?

I helped with Aaron's holiday party yesterday. Unlike last year, Aaron's class this year is almost begging for help! While we had an abundance of parents at the kindergarten parties, this year, that is not the case. Therefore, the homeroom mom had asked me to bring in some pretzels, juice, and chocolate chips, and then to also be a helper while the party was happening. Melina and I had planned on attending anyway, so it wasn't any trouble.

Luckily, Mrs. H (the homeroom mom) had decided to make the party very low-key. Instead of a craft and a snack, she made the craft the snack. The kids each had a sugar cookie, some frosting, a few chocolate coated candies and some chocolate chips. We bravely gave each child a plastic knife, and let him or her go to town decorating. While that was going on, we passed out pretzels and juice.

At some point, Mrs. H asked that I help pass out bananas. The "Wellness Committee" at the school really wants the holiday parties to be more healthy, we try to bring in something nutritious at each party. Last time, it was grapes and cheese, this time, bananas. We figured that each child only need 1/2 of a banana, and we'd ask if a banana was wanted so as to cut down on waste. I went around to each child and asked him or her if a banana was needed. And that is when I got in trouble.

I made it to Edward and this is what happened:
Me: Would you like 1/2 of a banana, Edward?
E: Yes, please, but I will share it with my dad (who was there to help).
Me: Well, if you share it with your dad, what part of the banana will you each get?
E: We will each get a small part.
Me: Yes, but if I split 1/2 of a banana into 2 pieces, what part of the banana do you and your dad get?
E: Hmmm.
Me: That is okay, Edward! Fractions are hard!

I split the banana and went on asking other kids if they wanted any. In the background, I heard Edward's dad explaining the problem to the kids at the table. Just so you know, I only asked Edward because I have worked with him at math stations before. I really thought he would have known the answer, based on how well he works at those centers!

So, I have admitted that I have a problem. Now, what to do about it?!?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status