Sometimes You Gotta Eat

I worry about my sugar intake on a daily basis.  Last year, I had a health scare, and since then, I've been watching how much artificial sugar I eat.  Since I love yogurt, especially the flavored variety, I tend to cut back on most other sweet things, but allow myself the yogurt.  I love so many fruits and vegetables that really, it doesn't hurt much by not having the sugar.

But then, along comes a recipe that kills my will power.  A recipe so yummy, that Tim told me if I really loved him, I'd have made these before now.

The story goes like this:

I wanted to find a good caramel brownie recipe.  So I searched for Rolo Brownies, knowing that an easy way to add caramel would be to throw in my beloved Rolos to my from scratch brownie recipe.  Up popped a nice recipe and a link to a variation of it.  I was hesitant at first, because the brownies started with a boxed cake mix, but I tried the recipe anyway.  And I am glad I did.  In the end, I combined the two recipes, made some changes, and almost ate the whole batch.  I brought some to my writing workshop and some to the neighbors before the whole batch ended up in my mouth. 

Interested in these yummy morsels?  Try this:

1 Chocolate Fudge cake mix
1/2 cup melted butter
1/3 cup evaporated milk
12 ounce bag of Rolos, unwrapped
12 ounce bag of small chocolate bars/Milky Way bars, unwrap as many as you want
Peanut butter chips
Chocolate chips
Kraft caramel bits
Anything else you want to put in there

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter a pan.  The recipe called for an 8 x 8, but I didn't want my kids having such thick brownies, so I used a 9 x 13 pan.

2.  Combine the mix, the milk, and the butter.  The dough will be thick.  Cut in half.  Press half into the prepared pan.  If you use the 9 x 13, bake for about 4 to 5 minutes.  If you use the smaller pan, bake for 8 minutes.  Cool for 10 minutes.

3.  While the brownies are cooling, press out the other half of the dough onto waxed paper.  Even though the layer was going to be thin, it was pretty easy to do.  Then, take your baked brownies and place the unwrapped Rolos onto the surface.  We placed small chocolate bars and Milky Ways between the Rolos. If you just want to use Rolos, you will need 2 bags.  Sprinkle chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, and caramel bits over the top of the brownie.  Take the wax paper and turn the pressed out layer over the candy layer.  Be sure to peel the paper off, and press gently the edges if necessary.

4.  Bake for about 15 minutes if using the 9 x 13 pan; 20 - 25 if using the 8 x 8 pan.

Let the brownies cool a bit before cutting.  We rewarmed the brownies the next day, too, and they were still delicious!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status