Bittersweet Symphony

I find myself surrounded by music. Whether it be the songs that ring from Melina's mouth or the tunes the girls play on the radio, much of my life moves forward with a song. Which is why a creative project popped into my mind and sits there, tethered, with no plans for leaving. I just need to find the time to do it.

The plan? To define my life, or write about phases of my life, using song titles and lyrics. I've already started collecting titles, and have looked seriously at lyrics, but again, it will be a long road to accurately reflecting my life this way.

The most appropriate title for yesterday is a no brainer.  I took Melina to the school for her kindergarten evaluation. In usual Melina style, she needed to get gussied up before heading out to the school. This time, instead of sparkles, sequins, or sashes, she was momentarily back in her superhero phase and ran up the steps of the school dressed as Supergirl. The bright red and blue of her costume looked just awesome with the long pink and grey hounds-tooth coat over it!

I smiled as I watched Melina charge toward the front door of the school, a symphony resonating in my ears. A bittersweet one, of course. The lyrics to the song aren't appropriate for my feelings, but the title is. She's the last one of my wee beasts to be moving toward this momentous occasion of really starting school. She's on her way to reading by herself, she can almost zip up her own coat, and even though Melina states that she wants to be lif me all the time (that's supposed to be with, in case you didn't know), the moment that gigantic yellow school bus rolls up in the fall, I'm already certain she'll climb aboard with confidence and barely look back.

We are exactly where we should be. It's difficult for me to remember to savor the sweetness of this stage and ignore the bitter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status