Harnasses

Wouldn't you know it? I'm not up to the minute on the DSM-5 breaking news, but information about bras? I'm on it.

If you pay any attention to this blog at all, you know I'm open about my breasts. They've spent many an hour feeding my children and have a tendency to give in to gravity at times. The twin peaks (or not really, see previous sentence) have also shrunk. I've told you before that band-aids can be used as a regular restraining device for my mammary glands. In fact, over the winter, I don't even wear a bra most of the time.

Well, I stumbled upon this little tidbit today that says, "Bras do nothing to help support a woman’s breasts and could even be doing damage" (http://www.connexionfrance.com/Bra-support-damage-professor-Rouillon-back-pain-nipple-14626-view-article.html). I whooped with glee! Finally a good reason for not wearing the bra other than sheer laziness. Yippee!

And then I read the rest of the article, which, I will be honest, was not from an academic journal. Should I find that, I will try to read it. But according to the online article, the study was limited to 320 women between the ages of 18 and 35, which is "not a representative of the global population of females" (http://www.thelocal.fr/page/view/breasts-better-off-without-bras-french-study#.UWqBtMpvDmg). Also, there is no indication of breast size. Either way, the premise is that without a bra, women's bodies will adapt; muscle tissue will grow, and internal support will cause nipples to lift in relation to their shoulders. This sounds like the opposite of sagging, no? Could it be we've been mislead all these years?

The jury is still out, I guess. More research needs to be done and the results need to be scrutinized. I can't imagine a women with a DD chest saying that she feels comfortable without a bra, but then again, I've never had a DD set of boobs, so I shouldn't try to speak. But if women of all shapes and sizes abandon their bras, society will need to adapt to the change. (And good luck with that one.) 

I'm all for keeping my girls healthy and happy and if that means no bras, so be it. But when I run, I'll continue to strap them up, no matter what size they are.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status