Comrie Girls

On Tuesday of this week, March 20th to be exact, Mike Comrie and Hilary Duff welcomed a baby boy into their lives. They named the new addition Luca Cruz Comrie, and he weighed in at 7 pounds, 6 ounces. Personally, I like the moniker. A little different, but not so off the wall. Not that they were asking me or anything. Also, not that I had anything to do with this, either, but I was hoping for a girl. Bear with me and read on, and it will all become clear in a moment.

Why do I care about Mike Comrie? For those of you that don't know, he was a professional hockey player. (I do have a thing for professional hockey players, i.e. Steve Yzerman, but that isn't the reason I was interested in his family life.) Well way back before he played professional hockey, he played for the University of Michigan. One winter night, while the twins were in utero, Tim and I attended a hockey game at Yost Ice Arena. Mike Comrie was the star of the moment. I don't remember exactly what he did to be considered great, because I was pretty uncomfortable sitting in the cold and on those hard seats. But the girls behind me knew what he did to be great, and they thought he was great looking. Because every time he skated by our seats, or scored a goal, or just breathed, they yelled out, "COMRIE!!!"

I have no idea if Mike knew the girls, but Tim and I thought it was hysterical. The girls twittered and cooed, fanned themselves and each other, and just about jumped out on the ice. And to this day, when we hear the name Mike Comrie, Tim and I look at each other and yell, "COMRIE!!!"

So, I just want to say to Mike and Hilary, congratulations and best wishes. I hope that all goes well with little Luca, and that you have many more, perhaps as many to make up your own hockey team. Considering Mike already retired from hockey (due to injury, I believe), he may have enough time on his hands to get started on the next one. Only time will tell if Mike and Hilary will have their own little Comrie girl on their hands. (You think they'd understand if I sent a T-shirt printed with COMRIE!!! on it?)

By the way, If you haven't been to a hockey game at Yost Ice Arena, then try to get there some time. It is an experience that makes memories, even if Mike Comrie doesn't happen to be playing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status