Dr. Mom

I hauled Aaron into the doctor this morning, thinking he might have strep. He has been battling a fever since Saturday, he has swollen glands, and a slightly pink throat. His throat didn't look strep-y to me, but his voice was muffled, and he had a headache. All of the signs suggested that he might possibly have strep, and since he was born with a small ventral septal defect (VSD) in his heart, we always try to catch the strep right away.

Zoe has also been complaining about a slightly sore throat. Hers didn't look strep-y to me, either, but her glands were swollen. She had no fever, but I thought since I was taking Aaron in, I'd go ahead and bring her with me.

The doctor assessed them both, after I gave the signs and symptoms to the nurse. Their ears were clear, their noses clear, their throats a little pink. Based on the headache, Aaron's fever, and their swollen glands, she went ahead with the rapid strep test. After the doctor swabbed the kids' throats, she told us she'd be back in about 5 minutes.

As we were waiting, I looked at Zoe. She was yawning. A light bulb went off in my head. Zoe has been complaining of a slightly sore throat for a while, AND she has been grumpy. In fact, we had to bribe her not to wake up grumpy: if she could wake up happy for a week, then she'd be allowed to stay up a bit later. It dawned on me that we had not told the doctor or the nurse that she has been tired. When the doctor returned, I asked her to test her for mono, and told her why.

Sure enough, Zoe has mono. Aaron might have mono. Neither of them have strep. And I am confident in my ability to diagnose. I understand why they call us Dr. Mom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status