Full Plates

This morning I received an email from the managing editor of Literary Mama. In short, it asked if I would have an interest in becoming the Fiction department copyeditor, in addition to keeping my current post as a Profiles department editor.

For those of you who know me well, you're probably thinking I did a happy dance. And you're right. Although I've had no formal training besides what I learned in elementary and high school and then in college, I copyedit every day. It could be the articles in the newspaper, school newsletters, church bulletins, or emails I receive. Errors often jump from the page, and in some instances, that's not a good thing. A glaring mistake on the front page of a national newspaper? Who didn't do his/her job that morning?

But back to my story. I read the email from the managing editor with great interest, and I thought briefly if I should take on the role. It would be good experience, I thought. I followed that up by, But I am so busy. As I walked into the kitchen, I even voiced my concerns aloud.

"Should I put one more thing on my plate?" I muttered to no one in particular.

Talia, who knew what I was talking about because she had, just moments before, peeked over my shoulder at the email, had a very quick response. "You do if you're hungry," she said. 

I'll be ordering a hard copy of the Chicago Manual of Style by the end of the day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status