Reading Time

Melina loves to read. She loves to have people read to her and she likes to pick up books and read them out loud, to herself, or to anyone who might listen. This probably isn't a surprise to any of you who know me or Tim. I clearly love to read, and while Tim is more of a non-fiction kind of guy, dragging him away from a book is a daily occurrence. It's a wonder anything gets done around here with as much reading as this family does.

Back to my story. Yesterday afternoon, Melina was reading aloud to me. I can't remember which book it was, and it really doesn't matter what the title was. What does matter is that the book had to do with some mice and a nice lady. It talked about what the mice liked (cheese) and that the lady liked it, too. The woman was always doing something nice for her mice. (In my opinion, it was a little too easy for Melina, but she was practicing. I'm good with practicing.) The lady was so gentle (read that as boring), I got distracted by a letter that had been sent home. And so I really didn't pay much attention until Melina got to a certain page and said...

Ready for it?

"Those look like they could be peep-toes."

Like I said, my head had been focused on the letter, not the book in front of her. But even I knew that those words would not have been written by the author.

So I leaned my head in and checked out the page at which Melina had stopped. The illustration showed the woman pushing a cart at the grocery store while in a nice outfit that included some red high-heeled shoes. Whether or not they were peep-toes, I can't be sure.

I didn't tell her that I didn't know what peep-toe shoes were until three years ago. Just like the title of the book, it really didn't matter. I simply nodded my head and told her to continue. She finished the book and put it away. And that was the only comment I got from Melina on that book. THE ONLY ONE.

Thank heavens the girl is a good reader or I'd be a little worried. (Make that a lot worried.) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status