Christmas Memories

Scents have a way of taking us back to moments in our past. So do recipes. The following sugar cookie recipe is the one that does it for me. They aren't named for my mom, Mary, but we did make this cookie when I was younger, usually around Christmas. I fell in love with them then, and fall in love again, every time I eat one of these.

Mary's Sugar Cookies*

1 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
granulated sugar/frosting for decorating

In a large bowl, mix together the powdered sugar and butter. Add the egg, vanilla extract, and almond extract, and mix well. Blend in the flour, baking soda, and cream of tartar. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Divide the dough in half. Roll each half 3/16 of an inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut into desired shapes and sprinkle with granulated sugar. (Or don't, if you plan on frosting them.) Place on lightly gresed baking sheet. Bake 7 to 8 minutes, or until light brown on the edges. (I start with 5 minutes and go from there, depending on how thick I've cut the cookies.)

This recipe is supposed to make 60 cookies, but I've never had a batch larger than 33 because I like to roll my cookies out thicker. And if you enjoy soft sugar cookies like I do, place them in an airtight container along with a piece of bread.

*I found this recipe on the internet, but the one I used to follow is from an old Betty Crocker recipe book I believe my mom still has. The pages of the book are worn and torn, and I didn't have the heart to ask for the actual book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrity Status